World Tower: 1890 - 1955


Originally located on the corner of Frankfort Street and Park Row, Joseph Pulitzer's World building stood at the turn of the century at the beginning of what was known as "Newspaper Row". Alongside George B. Post's tower were the offices of such papers as the Sun, Tribune, Daily Recorder and the New York Times. By the middle of the 20th Century increased competition between the papers, complicated by the relocation of the Times to midtown, decreased the value of the "Row". Also the wanning popularity of newspaper readership due to the advent of television, and the need to ease up automobile traffic entering onto and off the Brooklyn Bridge set the stage for another of Post's eclectic buildings to be demolished.