Jefferson Market Prison: 1877 - 1927


Demolished to make way for the now razed Women's House of Detention, the original Jefferson Market Prison was part of a sprawling complex of Victorian Gothic buildings designed by Frederick Clarke Withers and Calvert Vaux. Though not simultaneously planned, the prison along with the courthouse, market and firehouse represented New York's first comprehensive building formation. Today, the remaining courthouse (located within the "island" created by Sixth Avenue, Greenwich Avenue and 10th Street) is protected by landmark status and inhabited by a public library.